e premte, 20 prill 2007

"Come on, everybody to the storm cellar!"

Enjoyed my first Baghdad dust storm last night.
I was unfortunately without my camera as it started to roll in. It started about 6pm. The entire horizon north of The Palace turned into a light shade of burnt orange. As the storm moved across the compound you could see the dividing line between the normal cloudy sky and the blustery dust bin overhead. There are no typical local weather forecasts around here and unless you make the effort to keep up on the web you never know what to expect. This picture was about 7pm, when it's normally still pretty light out. Walking outside the dust washes over you like dry, weightless rain drops. It takes a couple hours for the taste and smell to fade away. If you want to enjoy a similar experience in your own home pull the bag out of your vacuum cleaner, give it a good shake and breath deeply. This was a fairly mild storm that only lasted a few hours. One guy shrugged off the conditions as he stepped outside for a smoke saying, "This is nothing. Wait until you see a sand storm." Next time I won't get caught without my camera.

Please be sure to add my blog to your favorites and check back often for updates. Feel free to post comments. You can click on the photos for larger versions of my pictures.

Still to come...How 45 seconds in the IZ can mean the difference between life and death

Tinman


All Material Copyright 2007(c)

3 komente:

Brit tha...

I still think ur crazy! But you need to write more often now that I read ur blog or else I'll think sumthing happened to you!

Tinman tha...

Aren't we all a little crazy Brit? :) I'm here for a number of reasons, but among them I hope to get some good things accomplished in the middle of all this madness. Yesterday I built a computer lab at a rundown elementary school where the only teaching tools were broken, rusting desks and chalkboards. All the equipment was stacked in a storage area. No one knew what they had or how to use it. We pieced bits and parts together and NOW they actually have tangible learning tools for the children. Next, I am going to provide them with educational software and a computer training seminar for the teachers. It's a small victory in a much larger battle, but I'm doing my part to try and make a difference. Stay tuned!

Anonim tha...

You Exaggerate.